Vegetables & Fruit
- These offer fibre, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants which are important for health
- Examples: apples, carrots, bananas, broccoli, cabbage, melon, pear, squash, beets, collard greens, okra, eggplant, turnip
- To reduce cost: buy in-season, on sale or frozen and canned options!
- Offer iron, zinc and many other vitamins & minerals; help build muscle and other tissue; helps keep you full
- Examples: meats, poultry, egg, tofu, dairy and dairy alternatives, beans, peas, lentils, chickpeas, nuts, seeds
- To reduce cost: buy meat on sale and freeze what you won’t eat right away; buy dairy in larger containers; use eggs, tofu, beans and lentils more often as these are cheaper!
- Offer many vitamins, minerals, fibre and energy
- Examples: brown rice, whole wheat bread, whole wheat pasta, quinoa, amaranth, sorghum, millet, buckwheat, barley, couscous
- To reduce cost: buy in bulk, buy bread products on sale and freeze what you won’t eat right away!
- Water provides the best hydration. It is best to make water your main drink!
Want more information?
- Go to food-guide.canada.ca
- Speak to your Exercise Therapist about booking an appointment with the Registered Dietitian!