How the program works
- The regional cardiovascular rehab service gets you on track to better heart health.
- The six-month program is free of charge.
- Our weekly exercise classes are between 1 ½ to 2 hours long. At each class, we monitor your progress, review your risk factors, and provide you with encouragement and motivation.
- Classes can be scheduled in the morning, afternoon, or evening, at a location that is convenient and close to you.
- An exercise prescription will be developed for you, based on an initial fitness assessment.
- You will be instructed on safe exercise guidelines, and encouraged to exercise both in-class, and while at home.
What to expect
- Initial fitness assessment.
- Weekly group exercise, coaching, and education classes.
- Home-based exercise program.
- Regular communication with your Exercise Therapist.
- Follow-up fitness assessment.
- Graduation and encouragement to continue with community programs.
- Heart Healthy Education: Outside of your regular weekly exercise classes, we encourage you to participate in our monthly group education sessions, offered both in-person, and through our interactive online portal.
- Workshops: Register for our workshops which can help you build skills around eating healthy.
- Individual Counselling: Book an appointment with our Registered Dietitian or ask your Exercise Therapist to be referred to community psychosocial counseling.
Benefits of participating
- Cardiovascular System (heart & arteries): Improves fitness, endurance, and energy levels. Exercise has also been shown to improve cholesterol and fat levels in the blood, reduces inflammation in the arteries, and helps to keep blood vessels flexible and open. Research also indicates a decrease in the risk or burden of experiencing cardiovascular disease in the future.
- Brain: Improves the health of blood vessels in the brain, promotes the growth of new networks, improves and protects memory and thinking skills.
- Diabetes: Helps improve blood sugar control, which lowers your risk of developing Type 2 Diabetes, and improves insulin sensitivity.
- Stress/Emotional Wellbeing: Exercise has been shown to improve mood and can be an effective tool to manage daily stress.
- Sleep: Potential improvements to sleep patterns and quality of sleep.
- Weight: Can help you maintain and/or reach a healthy weight.
Who is eligible for the program
- Individuals living with a cardiovascular concern; or,
- Individuals living with multiple risk factors, such as:
- History of smoking
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol
- Obesity – waist circumference
- Inactive lifestyle
For more information
- Speak to your Exercise Therapist.