- TABATA is a specific style of high intensity interval training [HIIT]
- Each TABATA consists of 8 cycles
- Each cycle includes 20 seconds of very hard exercise followed by 10 seconds of rest
- Each TABATA takes 4 minutes to complete
- This workout consists of 4 TABATAs which = 16 minutes
Plank with row
Start in a high plank position with a dumbbell in each hand, row one arm up while maintaining your plank position and stability, lower your arm and repeat, alternating arms.
- Modified option: Complete plank with row (with no dumbbell), or chose to do a standard or high plank.
Side plank with dip
Lay on your side with your legs extended, place your elbow on the floor or mat in line with your shoulder, stack your feet on top of each other and raise your body up to create a straight neutral line, then dip your hips down toward floor or mat, then rise again – repeat
- Modified option: Side plank no dip. This option will also allow for varying foot placement to further simplify the exercise.
Lay on the floor with your knees bent and back and feet flat to the ground, place your hands gently behind your head. Start by doing a reverse crunch raising your feet of the ground keeping your knees bent. Then try the bicycle peddling movement with your legs – bringing one knee up towards your armpit while straightening the other – Next you will lift your right shoulder blade and elbow off the floor and twist your torso towards the opposite (left knee) – try to touch your right elbow to your left knee – then as you straighten your left leg you will twist and bring your left elbow to your right knee – repeat in smooth motion, engaging core muscles
- Modified options: skip the bicycle legs and try only the twisting crunch, or try a basic crunch with feet flat on the ground.
Walk out plank with jack
Start from a standing position, bend at the hips and knees until you can place both hands onto the floor/mat. Walk your hands out while keeping your feet stationary. The movement is complete once you achieve a high plank position – Then hop your feet out to the side (similar to a jumping jack), then back in again – complete 1-4 jacks before walking your hands back towards your feet and standing up – then repeat
- Modified options: you can skip the walking out and back and simply do a plank with jack, or you can choose to do a standard plank from high position (hands) or elbows
Advanced resistance training disclaimer
- This is an unsupervised online exercise video. We advise all participants to review their current exercise/fitness level to determine if this session is appropriate for you.
- If high intensity exercise is new to you please discuss with your physician, prior to participating.
- Do not start an exercise session if you are feeling unwell and discontinue exercise if symptoms arise. Symptoms may include but are not limited to; shortness of breath, chest pain, dizziness, light-headiness. If you develop worsening symptoms that are not relived by rest – seek medical attention.
- Remember you are in control of your own workout. Exercise at your own level/pace.
- Please complete a 3-5 minutes warm up prior to starting this exercise routine.
Want more information?
- Speak to an Exercise Therapist.
- Check out our “What is TABATA” video in the continuing education section of this web-site
- Check out more of our “HIIT” videos under the exercise demonstration section of this web-site
- Check out our TABATA Core workout handout